Monday, July 28, 2008

obsessions...

She had this charm, this joyful air around her he could not resist. How fickle! Soon, she took him away from me.

“Amit! Shall we go for coffee?”


“Oh sorry, you carry on! I am helping Suruchi with her review reports.”

“Amit! Can you drop me home?”


“Can you take an auto today? I will have to stay late. Suruchi has to finish her deliverable by tomorrow and lot of work is pending.”

“Amit! Where are you?”


“Suruchi and I are in a movie! I’ll call you back later.”

“Hi Amit!”

“Hey! Can you put Suruchi on line? I need to talk to her. I think her phone is switched off.”

This went on. For weeks. Or may be months. I don’t know.
But, something was happening inside me.

This morning Suruchi asked me: “Do you think Amit likes me? Do you think he will propose to me?” I had said I don’t know. Later Amit had asked: “Do you think Suruchi likes me? Do you think I should propose to her?” I had said I don’t know.

I had been accumulating emotional ammunition. I had turned into an explosive filled with shrapnels of anger and obsession.


Later in the evening when I entered house, I saw her door was left ajar. I found them both in her room; they were lying naked in bed, sleeping, which seemed like after long hours of love making.

My mind went numb.

Suruchi was such a warmhearted person… irresistible… This spring she had arrived at the city, joined the company and was looking for a place to stay. We both were in the same project. I offered her to stay in the vacant room of my apartment. I remember when I asked her to stay with me she had exclaimed with joy... or perhaps surprise... “That would be superb, wow! Thanks… Thanks a lot…” with those big beautiful black eyes widening and her cute little mouth agape. Those eyes, her hair, and her tall slim physique - I had felt jealous the first time I introduced her to Amit.

There was a sense of foreboding from the beginning.


Amit was the technical lead of our project - charming, handsome guy – so outwardly sophisticated that any girl ordinary could fall in love with him at the first sight and so inwardly ordinary that anyone sophisticated could understand his true nature at first glance. I knew him more than anyone else. I knew him more than he knew himself. Staying late nights at office, dropping me home, those hours of talking on phone, hanging out on weekends – we were more than just friends but less than lovers. At least that’s what I thought, until she came. And robbed me.

How can she? How can he? How dare them?

They looked content and peaceful – Amit with his charming face and strong shoulders and she, with her hair scattered on Amit's thighs and black beautiful eyes staring right at me. Only those eyes were now devoid of life. I had killed them both. I took my kitchen knife, made its blade red hot on the gas burner and sliced their throat while they were asleep.

I had exploded, and they became victims.
It wasn't easy for me. For them too...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mechanical engineering, IT and writing-- connecting some far apart dots there!

Rahul said...

me too.. :)