Thursday, February 7, 2008

tch...

Presentations.. Talks.. Documents..

It all started last year, when Thomsons bought Reuters for $17.2 billion. After that Thomsons CEO retired and Tom Glocer (Reuters CEO) became the CEO of the merged company. Strange thing if you ask me – ‘get bought and become the CEO…’ strange! Mergers and Acquisitions…


I was thinking about this strange M&A in a barber’s shop in Madhapur, Hyderabad. I don’t have much hair left to be cut, but just to give my head a compact look I entered the shop. ‘If your barber is bald, stay away from his scissor…’ is usually what I tell others, because whenever I see my deforested head in the mirror I try to recollect the number of bald barbers who had my head at their disposal at some point of time in the past. Sigh! The barber (who was bald!) made me sit in his execution chair, covered me down neck with the cloth, cut one side of my hair and went for a tea. I instinctively cringe at such situations where a person de-prioritizes his or her work for something less important at the moment. What could I do! He came back, turned on to a telugu movie in television and leisurely started sipping his tea, as if I didn’t exist. I mean… what I could do!

To un
derstand this behavior, one really needs to know what happened to Madhapur (the place where incident happened) during last two years. IT came to Hi Tech City and Madhapur was the village between the IT city and residential city. The economy of this village grew like a horny teenager’s dick. But somehow, only the dick grew and the brains remained unchanged and ungrown. That’s the condition of this village right now - an overgrown economy running on the power of pounds and dollars and a bad sense of expenditure of the IT professionals. Anyhow, I was about to leave this village the next day.

Hmm! Now I am in London. In IT terms – I have come to the ‘onsite’. It all happened so fast, I could not even know myself that I am going to be in London in just a matter of four days. HYD to DEL to HEATHROW – had two shots of vodka in the flight and reached London without much boredom.


Cultural shock!!! That’s what happened to me once I landed here. Everything seems to be running with a perfect discipline. People follow rules, streets are clean, nobody honks…
I mean for a person who has lived in Hyderabad and Delhi, London is a land of nirvana. It’s a cold place – you can’t go out without covering your body properly with warm clothes - reminded me of my childhood days of Shimla’s winter. Nothing surprising that once Shimla was the summer capital of these guys!

Oh yes! Forgot about the ‘Presentations.. Talks.. Documents..’ So when M&A happens, IT application integration is the next thing to happen. It was very cruel start of the week with making presentations for the people to understand what should be done and what should not be done. Screwed it up anyhow today.. I am not as good in speaking as I (think) am in writing. Pshaw! Feeling very dejected by the way the presentation went! Tch!

2 comments:

Arvind Ekbote said...

Congratulations for ur 1st onsite assignment. howz Bunty?

Rahul said...

thanx arvind! bunty is good..